Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Books

A Wednesday post so topics are books and information searching . . .I've been on a non-fiction reading splurge for the past month.  First there was The Case for Books: Past, Present and Future; then Oliver Sacks' newest, The Mind's Eye.  And now I'm 100 pages into Slow Death by Rubber Duck: The Secret Danger of Everyday Things.  The last one is a book I've started a couple of times before but now I'm really into it and think I'll finish this weekend.  I would recommend all three.
           At the moment, at work, I see a need to read something (a book?) about learning styles.  I was thinking learning styles and multiple intelligences (Howard Gardner) were the same thing -- maybe learning styles as the application means of the more theoretical multiple intelligence ideas.  But when helping a student with research, I saw that I was leading her astray . . . actually learning styles predate the idea of multiple intelligences.  It was harder than it should have been to find information in my library's catalog and databases about learning styles since the actual subject term was "cognitive style" and none of my library's many print and online reference books seem to have a good quick definition of the term.  Finally turned to google and was disturbed (but not completely surprised) to realize that wikipedia had that good general description of the term that I was looking for. 
          And here in middle Georgia, finally it looks a bit like November.  Most of the trees, including the gorgeous gold ginkgoes, have turned colors and more and more of the leaves are falling.  Husband's replanted outdoor chrysanthemums are in full bloom and fine looking.  Winter is not my favorite season so I'm holding onto the enjoyment of fall as long as possible . . .
            

No comments:

Post a Comment